Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

A little washy wash...

The kids are home on break. We have all been all sorts of sick. I am going a little bit batty. And I NEED to do something other than sanitize puke buckets and washing laundry. A sewing project seems a little over zealous for a day like today. And for some reason this week it has started to drive me crazy to look at my shoe shelf. So I decided to wash it too. :)

 I built this simple little shoe shelf a few years ago. It is sized to hold our most used shoes/boots. I love it... it could be bigger... we have a ton of shoes. So maybe one day I will build another one. When I built this it was on a whim and I never put on a top coat, just stain, so that made it possible for me to easily white wash it now.


I wanted to tone down the color and make it mesh better with the white shelves above but I didn't want it to be white because then it would just always look dirty. And I certainly did not want to take the time to paint! White wash is SOOOOOOO simple! Brush on, let sit a bit, wipe off. When white washing I like to go a little crazy and NOT go with the grain of the wood... I know, CRAZY. But it gives a little more texture. I usually brush on with the grain, wipe with the grain, wipe again against the grain, wait a minute and then wipe with the grain lightly. It is always a good idea to start on the underside of a piece to get the hang of your method.

I am not 100% sure I won't do another coat. But I know that if I add another it will become really white so I am just going to sleep on it for a bit.

Now that I spent an hour white washing... time to get back to wash washing... laundry, dishes, sheets, random things covered in germs.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo to your for your D-I-Y initiatives. People can do so many creative and useful things for themselves if only they can tear themselves away from their TV's and cell phones.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover